September 2

ELA 10: Sept 2 “Death Trap” and Elements of Literature…

1. Because a few people were away yesterday for Driver Training, Taron volunteered to carefully summarize what we’ve learned so far in reading the short story titled “The Death Trap”. He did a great job. That blended nicely into continuing the story, from what turned out to be the beginning of the real action.
  2. Studying short stories is very common in English classes, but ensuring students know the proper terms and meaning for them is pretty important. They were given a handout that reviews specific things we’ll talk about with each story we read, such as the tone or the author’s style of writing. Some of these things were familiar to them and others were new.
  3. We created a plot outline on the board and everyone contributed their ideas as to what events should be noted in the “rising action” section or what specific thing was actually the “climax”, which caused quite a bit of discussion. There was no real consensus, so that discussion hasn’t ended.
  4. We spent a bit of time going over the types of characters authors can include in literature: stock, round, and dynamic. We also had quite a debate about what qualities define a protagonist and antagonist.
  5. Students have to come tomorrow with the blog name they’ve decided on so I can get started creating their blogs. They were asked, though, as part of their first experience with my own homework blog, to add a comment regarding either examples of the following:

1. A protagonist from a story or movie who isn’t so easily distinguished as being the “good character” since they’re somewhat flawed and have evil characteristics.
    2. What exactly is the climax of the story we read – when he enters the water, when they realize the straightjacket has been gaffed, when he still hasn’t come up in the water? Give your opinion and be sure to back it up!

Death Trap story

Posted September 2, 2009 by Waldner in category ELA A10

9 thoughts on “ELA 10: Sept 2 “Death Trap” and Elements of Literature…

1. Brittany Prpich

Well I think that the climax is when the Great Armando is about to enter the water wearing the gaffed straight jacket because there is so much tension and everyone is on edge because no one truly knows whether Armando is going to come up and complete his greatest escape yet, or be sink down to his watery grave.

Reply
  2. Darcy Pillipow

I think that the clmax of this story is when Armando is staying underneath the water and not coming up. That’s when Tina Masson starts worrying because she thinks that Armando is dead. The box is also empty when it gets carried out of the water. That is what makes the reader think that something has happened to Armando. Except that I think that Armando is actually still alive and also managed to escape. Right now I think that him and Tina Masson are together and worrying because they could think that there may be other things that can happen to both of them.

I think that the story called ” The Death Trap” is very suspenseful. My favorite part of the story is when Armando manages to escape from Sherriff Masson. The most highest point of tension in this story is when Amando is in the crate that is underneath the icy water. My favorite character of this story would be Armando and I was very glad that Armando is still out there living a good life. If I review this story I would review this story to all my friends that would be able to understand the context of this story.

Reply
  3. Ashton

In my opinion the climax of this story is when Armando has been in the water for a few minutes and shows no signs of coming up. His assistant Carl impulsively jumps into the water to see if The Great Armando lives. I think that this is the climax because it is the most exciting, tense part of the whole story.

Reply
  4. hokken johnson

In my opinion the climax is when Armondo is lowered into the water and the crane stops working. Then Carl the faithful assistant jumps in to save Armondo. This is the climax for me because sevral things come together: One, the crane stops working so if Armondo cant get out, he has no chance of surving. Two, Carl jumps in to save Armondo but cant. Three, when the crate is pulled up there is no Armondo inside. To me this is why this part of the story is the climax.

Reply
  5. riley

The climax of the story is when Armondo enters the water in a certain death trap. It is the climax because thats when everybody is scared and everybodies on end. You can tell that Armondo is in love and going to die. When they pull the crate out of the water you are sure that he is going to be dead, but when he is gone and the straight jacket is neatley folded, you would never see that coming. tha climax is all about interesting parts and this part definetly fits that description.

Reply
  6. Chase Zdunich

I believe that the climax of this story was when when the crane stopped working forcing his faithful assistant to jump in to save the day.even though the strait jacket had a finger lock in it the and he would not be able to get out the crane would be able to get him out. Then when the crane broke and he was still down there all hope was lost, makingit the perfect climax for this story.

Reply
  7. David Wiens

i would say that the climax was when he didnt come up for air. becose all the atation was on that one part and that he didnt come up at all and thay think hs dead becouse thay didnt find him all hope was gone and then after that thay found that the jaket had bean garfed so this must be the climax.

Reply
  8. taron.bleackley

I think the climax of this story is when he hasnt came out of the water yet and the power on the crane wont work. So every one is waiting to see what happens if he escaped or if he died. I think this because every body was on edge at that part of the story And there was tension in the air cause know body knew what was going to happen so thats where i think the climax of the story is.

Reply