December 11

ELA 20: Dec 11 Goosebumps and Grins…

photo-essay-assignment.doc

1. Yesterday, a few students said they were having difficulty accessing attached documents from the blog so Ms. Dionne put her efforts towards the problem and things have been cleared up. You should be able to open the documents attached to blog posts now, so life is good once again! Also, I would appreciate, for those of you who submitted your intro/conclusion paragraphs without the three body paragraphs that were available online, would you please copy the body and attach it to your head and tail and hand in another copy of the full essay? (Attach the body… sounds sinister!!)
  2. The goosebumps and grins, though, are not from that thought but from my reaction to reading the Intro/Conclusion that both Eric and Matt submitted as comments to yesterday’s ELA 20 blog. They’re both very good! There are a few unsuspecting mistakes and one is slightly guilty of being too vague at the end but they are both wonderful examples of how intriguing and engaging introductions and conclusions should and can be! Well done! I’m looking forward to reading the others that have been handed in! 
  3. And, on that note, I was thinking about Evan’s comment about the literary essay handed back yesterday being “the first time [he had] ever tried such a thing” and I have to compliment you all for doing such a great job even though it was a first time. It will only get easier from here!
  4. Now, with this assignment, you at least have the chance to choose a topic of your own desire. We have been talking about Values, Goals, things you Hope for – your topic should really be something important to you and hopefully be easily decided on. Like I said yesterday, you get two classes of research time today in the computer lab. I hope you come to class knowing your topic and ready to study it instead of deciding when you sit down that THAT is the time to think about your topic. Time waits for no man, or woman! Use it carefully, please!
  5. Open the attachment above to read your assignment sheet and go to it! (It would be helpful if one of you printed it and had the sub make copies for you. I’ll provide copies tomorrow if you don’t.) I hope you find some personal value or pleasure in working to share this topic with your classmates. It may be the one essay you’ll keep and reread somewhere down the line and reflect on. (My essay that I’ve reread often is titled “Alternative Health Care: Till Death Do Us Part”. I’m gonna take a guess that yours will not be on the same topic. lol)

There are links to videos of photo-essay examples to give you an idea of what to create. Share the video with a few people so not everyone is using up the bandwidth at the same time. Thanks!

1.   Joys and Sorrows    
  2. Sunshine Victim of Lauren (criticism here is the font is much too small)
  3.  Fitness photo-essay
  4.  PowerPoint of Winter’s Snowy Bite 

Posted December 11, 2007 by Waldner in category ELA 20