December 5

ELA 20: Dec 5 Writing that engaging intro / conclusion…

the-emperors-club-assignment-body-pars.doc

1. Students arrived at class to learn three topic sentences and the brainstorming for the related body paragraphs were already in the process of being written for them. How fortunate for them, then, that they would only have to focus on writing a truly sparkling introductory paragraph, using yesterday’s information to guide them, and attempt to leave their reader stunned and filled with reflection after reading their conclusion. It will happen, for some!  lol
  2. Using the projector again, students brainstormed for the information to add to their two paragraphs as I typed out some extra background information I scrounged up that could be of use to them. I looked up the word “Anticipation” in Wikipedia and found a lot of useful information. It is things like this that can be used in intros. I printed out the first page and each student was given a copy that contained the three topic sentences and background. With this, they should have all the information they need to write their two paragraphs. 
  3. Attached at the top is the file containing the three body paragraphs that match with the topic sentences given. Students are to choose their own order, according to significance in their opinion. They are to open the file, add in their own intro and conclusion, save the whole essay as their own file, and then submit the full essay on Monday.
  4. We will continue tomorrow and the assignment will be due Monday.

Posted December 5, 2007 by Waldner in category ELA 20