May 10

MdSt 20: May 10 Newspaper comparison / Black – Asper net search…

newspaper-comparisons-conrad-asper-net-search.doc

1.  Students presented their Bias in the News posters. There are a few groups who will have to present tomorrow to receive a mark for their work.
  2. Students were given a handout (see attachment above) for their new assignment. We read through it together and I explained further what I am asking of the assignment. There is a new conflict in the news with an Alberta man, Jeff Toews, dying in Mexico. The causes of his death are suspicious and his family is crying foul. For this assignment, students will have to look through newspapers and find different news reports about this one incident. They have to find information and fill out the handout questions based on two local papers (city papers) and one national (The National Post) to compare how the story was covered and what detail was put into it.
  3. Use the following link to access the newspapers for comparison. We went to the projector room and I gave students the link and password to get into the site. From there I showed them where on the website to access the digital newspaper version. They have to look at the paper in its paper format in order to locate where in the paper the articles were posted, such as top right hand corner of A5.

http://digital.leaderpost.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

email: waldner.marcy@prairiesouth.ca 
Password: SCHOOL1   (Please be responsible and only use this for school purposes.)
                                         (And Levi, please do not change the password. Thanks!)

Posted May 10, 2007 by Waldner in category Media Studies 20