Ap 28/16 Station B: Is the poem positive or negative? Prove it.
With all types of literature, authors can actually play around developing their own style or a style for a particular text. This is true for the next poem in this station.
What’s unusual about this poem is it speaks in double negatives; by the pairing of words, it seems a bit tricky to really clarify what the poem is saying.
It’s also very fitting because of what the speaker of the poem is dealing with – not having many opportunities to make their own decisions.
Task: With a partner or on your own
- Make a COPY of the poem in this Google Doc file. In your Copy, read the poem through and on the right-hand side summarize in your own words what the stanzas say. This will take it from the double negative talk to a straightforward explanation.
- Discuss with your partner and try to figure out what purpose and/or main point the speaker is trying to make clear through their narration.
- After reading the poem, decide if it’s mostly a positive or negative poem and explain your opinion below as a comment. Be thorough in your explanation of your choice.
- Each group will submit one comment.
- Make sure you identify the members of your group.
The poem is provided below. A digital copy of it to comment on online or to print a copy from it is given above in Step 1.
B5 Poem – Choices nikki giovanni(pdf copy)