February 1

ELA B30: Feb 1 Id and Ego – two sides to our personalities…

1. We began class with a quick little explanation from me about the idea that generally people have two sides to them – the side they are and are known as and the side they could be or have the potential to be. Every person has the ability to be more careful with different aspects of their characteristics – more polite, more hardworking, or more ambitious – but we usually fall short of that potential. This explains the struggle some people have with themselves in life – there are two of each of us, sort of.
  2. We read through two poems together. When reading poetry, you take several steps. The first is to do a read through entirely, even if you don’t understand parts. This way, you get a general idea of the poem, its meaning, and tone. On the second read through, that is when you look for new words to look up or any odd phrasings to decipher. We summarized the poem into our own words and, for the second poem, created a chart differentiating between the two individuals of the poem, the speaker and his inner self.
  3. Like the ELA B10 class, this group is creating learning blogs as well. They watched the video I created with the screen recording program. I forwarded through bits not so relevant but think everyone was able to get a firm idea of how to go about beginning this blog.  Students will have computer time during classes next week to put this into practice. It is difficult, with a class of 35 students, to find computers available for everyone at the same time. You will be given that time, though, to work on other class work if pcs are unavailable so that the hometime you’ll be forced to use will be made up to you.
  4. I will be posting a step-by-step list of “Things to do” when beginning your blog. Watch for it!

Here is a link to online videos that explain and show (which is important) how to proceed in creating portions of your blog. This should be quite helpful.

Posted February 1, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 30

2 thoughts on “ELA B30: Feb 1 Id and Ego – two sides to our personalities…

1. Nicole

Oh no, I only just read your reply and had already decided to venture out in creating a blog. So I’ve already put too much work into it to change to edublogs!! But I chose one that says the header can be customized, so I tried that and uploaded a picture to use.. and it shows up after I upload it and go to save it, but it doesn’t show up on my actual page. I’ll keep fooling around with it, and hopefully it works!! Krysta and I have been exploring the blogs tonight (yes, what a way to spend a Friday night!) and so far haven’t come across any major problems.

Reply
  2. Waldner (Post author)

Nicole,
    lol That’s great you were able to get it working. I was thinking last night that there are extra things you can likely do with a blog site that I haven’t discovered yet even! I’m looking forward to seeing how people tweak their blogs and learning a few new things myself.
    And as for playing with it on a Friday night… I sort of did the same so there’s no judging here. lol

Ms. W

Reply