ELA B10 June 20/16 Sample Obituaries for your Obit Writing
You know you’re tasked with writing an Obituary celebrating a character’s life from the play Macbeth. To get an idea of what this type/form of writing is like, here is a website with a collection of unique Obituaries. Read them to get a sense of:
- how each celebrates the deceased in some way
- quirky elements – the uniqueness of each is mentioned
- one sample tries to find meaning in a tragic loss of a son to suicide – it’s worth skimming for ideas (tragic loss of many in Macbeth)
Here’s the link to the web page.
- Under each described obituary on that website, it says “Read the Obituary here“. Click on the word HERE – it’s a hyperlink.
- Here’s one of the more memorable Obituaries from that page – from the Lady Killer obit I mentioned in class.
- This is an obituary written by a mother who lost her son to drug use. It’s a good example of how to write a loving remembrance of a person who had character flaws, much like it may be like for you to write an Obit about characters from Macbeth.