September 17

ELA 20: Sept 17 Class time for Paragraph and Blog entry…

1. Yesterday, students were given the assignment to write a body paragraph proving the symbolism in the short story “The Rink”. I made it clear they would have computer access today, but they would have to be prepared to use that computer time, meaning possibly take it home to complete as homework. They were also going to be given their first blog entry topic for the semester. It seemed reasonable to ask them to type their paragraph and their blog entry in the hour-long class.

Now, I admit I made a mistake in booking the wrong period for the Elevens, so we actually had to leave the computer lab after a few minutes. However, the point to focus on was that all of them were busy writing out their paragraphs in their binders before we had to leave – no one was ready to type their paragraphs or their blog entries.

Back in the classroom, they continued trying to create their paragraph while three used my computers to type their work and blog entries.

This led to a frustrated talk on my part – I’m making it a priority this year to offer students as much computer access as is necessary for them to develop their blog entries or assignments. Me offering that time (that resource) does them little good, though, if they come that day unprepared and unable to use that resource.

2. Tomorrow is supposed to be their writing period 3 of 3, set aside for Friday so they could be finished writing their essays and use the computers to type them. We’ll see if they come ready for that.

Posted September 17, 2009 by Waldner in category ELA 20