June 3

ELA B10: June 3 “The Michelle I Knew” story

1. We got right to it today. We read together a story that was given to them in a reading package last week. It’s called “The Michelle I Knew” and is about a young girl who is getting cancer treatment in the hospital who waits for her boyfriend to come for visiting hours but continues to tell herself that he’s finally decided to quit coming.
  2. The students all had a question sheet with both lower level and higher level questions. They did a Fantastic job! They were so focused, they needed very little prodding or reminders to stay on task, and they just got it done! I was very pleased that several of them were asking some important questions for clarification, like the distinguishing factors between first person narrative and third person, or the types of answers you can use when describing the author’s purpose for writing.
  3. They had about twenty minutes to try to complete their answers before I checked to see how they’d done. We started going over the answers before the bell went, and we’ll continue them on Friday, but one of the main purposes of today’s class was to help them recognize ways they can each gain more marks from similar types of questions on an exam.

Have a great time on your Field Trip tomorrow, class!!

Posted June 3, 2009 by Waldner in category ELA 10