September 11

ELA 20: Sept 11 Work period to develop rough draft of essay…

1. Before students found a seat, as they came in this morning, I explained I was going to have them find some space of their own in the room so everyone was well separated and could focus today to use the work period effectively. They did a good job of taking the initiative to find a space of their own.
  2. We read through the assignment sheet that was handed out yesterday. That clarified, for some, the focus of the assignment. We also looked at the attached rubrics and it was made clear that these are the areas I will be marking. Knowing these areas in advance makes it easier for students to target those areas resulting in a better mark. Now, who doesn’t want a better mark?!
  3. We also discussed whether they were allowed to use the essay outline from Mrs. Enns. I explained that it wasn’t because I was saying her way is not appropriate, but for this particular assignment it is not… appropriate. lol (Let me explain – this is a reflective essay, meaning the format is very different from what would be required of an expository essay. Her outline asks for three references for each body paragraph. That would be inappropriate for this reflective essay.) Using the outline given in my handout, and using the student-written essay as a guide, students should be able to keep their format in order.

Posted September 11, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 20