March 17

B30: Mar 17 Relationships sub-unit begins…

1. Several students were missing for today’s class. This, unfortunately, puts some people in a difficult situation since they are to participate in the formal debates tomorrow with their partners. I discussed this with the students and reminded them not to give up hope or effort for their part in the debate. Regardless of whatever work their partner does or does not do, each person is evaluated individually by their own effort and participation in the event. You can still do well, even though your partner has failed you.
  2. I handed back the exams from the Night/ Life is Beautiful comparison, since those who missed writing the exam did so on Friday.
  3. We got started on a new subunit about Relationships. We brainstormed the types of love that exist between people and there was quite a variety of them. One thing focused on in our conversation was the reality that there are positives and negatives of relationships. We hope we are in positive ones that contribute to our lives, but unfortunately, at some point in their lives, some of these students may find themselves in a situation where they are dragged down by their connection to someone, instead of lifted up.
  4. We read through several poems together and students follows instructions to circle or underline certain parts of each poem. After reading them, we evaluated each to decide what kind of relationship existed in the poem, who the relationship was between, what the tone of the poem was (with evidence) and choose a particular phrase or quote from each that seemed to stand out.
  5. Tomorrow is the debate day. Come prepared!!
  6. Wednesday is the unit exam that covers everything or anything discussed to date in class. I explained, though, that it is a skills-based exam meaning it is similar to any assignment or question sheet I would ask students to complete in class. If you have kept up with the work so far and are comfortable with the tasks, then you should do nicely on the exam. I went over the format and gave a few examples of the types of questions they can expect.

Posted March 17, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 30