January 11

ELA 20/30 Jan 11: Body paragraph practice…

body-paragraph-written-by-30-class.doc     chantelles-body-paragraph-practice.doc 

1.  Grade twelve students were given a reading package with a few more literature pieces that they will be able to use as reference for the formal essay on the Dept exam. These pieces are very flexible and can be used in relation to a variety of questions you may anticipate. We had a discussion, both the 20 and 30 group, and they don’t have or remember the literature on their source list and the resources on the shelf are “sketchy” so I will copy out a reading package for them that contains the titles given to them on the handout yesterday. 
  2. We looked at a six step format for writing body paragraphs yesterday. Today, students practiced using that format. A paragraph topic (theme from one of their sub-units) was chosen for both the 20 and 30 course, and students were to try working their way through the six steps and write their own body paragraph. I started with the 30s and guided them through a body paragraph, writing it on the whiteboard, and then left them to work quietly on their next paragraph while the 20s worked through writing a paragraph with me about Responsibility represented by the novel A Quality of Light.  Students handed in their paragraphs at the end of class for me to look over and see how they are doing with the process.
  3. Before leaving, the students were directed to a page in yesterday’s handout that was titled Exam essay focus practice. There are five essay questions related to 30 content on one page and five on the 20 content on the opposite side. Students are to read these essay questions and write in the blank provided how they would approach writing that essay. This will practice their skills in deciding what question is actually being asked. 
  4. The Grade twelves and elevens worked very well today; I was pleased. They’re learning to work in a tight surrounding with ample distractions but both groups did very well at staying on task and focused while I was addressing the other grade. I appreciate that kind of cooperation! Thanks!

Posted January 11, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 30