January 9

ELA 20/30: Jan 9 Essays made easy: the step by step process…

1. Students were very attentive for today’s discussion and review of the basic five-paragraph essay. We began with a few videos about essays, created by students of English who have shared their projects on the internet. Of particular importance was one done by a boy named Matt who explained the process extremely well. We may have watched a quick South Park essay moment thrown in there, as well. (I can’t recall………………………. )
  2. We viewed a powerpoint presentation I prepared that laid out the essay writing into 17 natural steps. I am glad to see that much of what I covered was simply review for them. Click here to view my spectacular powerpoint! writing-an-essay-in-steps-ppt.ppt
  3. We looked specifically at an easy way to create a strong thesis statement. I wrote an example on the board and students were asked to write it down. It may be worth something to them one day…. (hint hint)
  4. We had to stop before the bell was about to go so we will continue with specifics on writing an opening and concluding paragraph tomorrow but we watched a final powerpoint that reminded them of the main part of the advice today: Start your essay in the middle, Then go to the beginning, and finally you can end at the finish. Life is much easier for those of us who do!!

Here is Matt’s helpful video about writing essays. (Thank you Matt, whoever you are.. lol)[kml_flashembed movie=”http://www.youtube.com/v/jtf0KIBR4xU” width=”425″ height=”350″ wmode=”transparent” /] 

Posted January 9, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 30