October 30

ELA 10: Oct 30 Some tense moments in our reading… and a bit of fun…

1. Students had another homework check to see that they are keeping up with the chapter questions as they are assigned. There was a bit of pressure from the students themselves towards one student who admitted before class began that he hadn’t finished the questions. Apparently, the fact that there were only four questions to complete made the concept of not being done open for razzing. They’re working hard to keep up, though, which I appreciate.
2. I read aloud to the students today and some very important parts of the story unfolded. At several points, I stopped and addressed the class and asked higher end questions, asked them to put themselves in the shoes of the main character to understand his situation, and even acted out a part of it.
I very much enjoy the enthusiasm in this class. Whenever we get to a part in the story where the author has given a strong piece or foreshadowing or when a sentence trails off, leaving the reader to wonder what may happen, the students and I have gotten into the habit of adding (for dramatic effect) the sound of “dun, dun, dunnnn…” It’s enjoyable and adds to the understanding that a cliffhanger exists. They’re enjoying this book! I am glad for that!

Posted October 30, 2007 by Waldner in category ELA 10