December 20

ELA 20: Dec 20

1. To give students an idea as to what the play, The Glass Menagerie, is about, I went through all the characters and gave the students their background and mindset. For example, Laura’s character is essential to the play and important for students to understand how she came to be so frail and delicate. Through the description and comparing her to someone we may encounter in society today, I think the students got a better understanding of what to expect and look for in their reading and listening of the play.  
  2. Students were divided into six groups with approximately three people per group. Each group was assigned a Scene in the play to read through entirely and familiarize themselves with its contents.
  3. Once finished, students had to find references with page numbers of details about the characters that the author gives to the readers. Remember, we are looking for character analysis details, not physical descriptions.
  4. For tomorrow’s class, the group for scene one will go up to the front of the class and read through the play but, now that they’ve read through it once and have an idea of its content, they can read with a bit more emotion and conviction to make for a more entertaining and enjoyable reading of the play.
  5. If you feel you’re ready, on yesterday’s ELA 20 blog post I put several clips there of different interpretations of key events. Take the time and see what you think!!

And, by the way, on the main page, under “Pages” there is a new poll spot where I can ask a question and you have an opportunity to give a little feedback. The question for now is whether you find these video clips attached to the website interesting and valuable.  Take the time and choose one of the answers or create your own! 🙂

Posted December 20, 2006 by Waldner in category ELA 20