Hist 30 1.2 First Nations: Pre-contact Period
What do we know of the social organization and decision making methods of the First Nations groups prior to and at contact with the early fur traders and settlers in early Canada?
The following resources and links are in the order required in the handout.
Audio Recordings of the Readings:
- An early definition of “savagery”
- Mi’kmaq Declaration of Historic Possession
- An interview with Jacques Cartier
- The first recorded European encounter with Amerindians
- Memorandum on limitations of the French settlement area
- Parallel justice system
- Native societies, customs, and beliefs
- Samuel de Champlain: French-Amerindian relations
- Jesuit missions
Small Group Discussion Plan for Readings:
Some of the readings will be divided between two groups. At certain points, members from one group will have to educate/explain the meaning of readings to the other group.
Group A: read/plan to share with others readings
1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, and 9
Group B: read/plan to share with others readings
1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9