Law 30: 03 Divisions of Law
Links and resources to help support the discussion of the levels of law in Canada.
- Common Law/Case Law
- Here’s What Judges Will Consider When Sentencing McArthur and Bissonnette (concurrent/consecutive/precedent) Feb 06, 2019 CBC
- Appeal Court to Rule in Case Involving Legal Definition of Death Feb 11, 2019 CBC
- Search Warrant’s Impossible Execution Date Should Have Been Noticed (Nova Scotia 2016 – appealed 2018)
- Statute Law
- Canlii Statute Law Acts – website lists government Acts
- Cannabis Act – 2018-06-21
- Bills Put Forward by 42nd Parliament – started Dec 2015
- Nine Bills Passed by Parliament Before the Summer Break 2016
- Constitutional Law
- Five Supreme Court Cases That Could Reshape Canadian Law Oct 2018
- Thirty-five Charter Related Cases – verdicts continue to help clarify the meaning and application of the law
- Supreme Court Finds Teacher Guilty of Voyeurism (Feb 14, 2019)
Read/Summarize Activity: From either of the links above related to Charter cases, pick one, read it, and write a Comment to this blog post to summarize it for the class.
Public vs Private Law Categories:
- Media Bias website: from a list of Canadian media sources, check them for bias and accuracy to determine which news sources you’ll feel comfortable referencing through the course.
- Globe and Mail
- National Post
- Global Media/CTV Media
- Star Phoenix/Leader Post
- Huffington Post Canada
- Gathering News Articles per category – Socrative Activity