September 22

ELA 20: Sept 22 How to do Battle with Students… err… Grown Ups…

1. After yesterday’s challenge from Evan and John’s little outburst regarding the literature, it seemed fitting that I arrive to my classroom to find both the boys sitting at the front of the classroom at the teacher’s desk with an air of authority surrounding them. (The fact that they had their feet up on my desk, like a banker, also kind of surprised me. lol)
  2. The boys then took it upon themselves to teach today’s class – one with slightly more success than the other. They gave it a (mostly) good effort though. Apparently, I make for a really poor student! They had students take turns reading through the article, led the discussion of the questions well, and did a good job of summarizing the main points of the author’s purpose.
  3. Considering the story was about the strategies used by adults and children, it seemed kind of fitting to let them reverse our roles for the day. I tried different tricks they often use to get me off task, and they mirrored a lot of the same behaviour that I find myself showing in an effort to maintain things on task. All in all, for building a bit more rapport, it was an interesting class!
  4. Tomorrow, things will return to normal and I’ll go over the story again carefully. We have some really cool poems to study as well.
  5. Reminder: The reflective essay is due Friday and the Body Paragraph assignment is due on Thursday. (I’ll be forgiving on the due dates within reason, so do your best to complete your work quickly.)

Posted September 22, 2009 by Waldner in category ELA 20