December 8

ELA 20: Dec 8 Anticipation Unit begins…

1. Students were given back the TKAM final exams they wrote on Friday. They did very well on the questions. I also added the marks from any other assignments past due that were handed in, so students were given their mark as it currently stands.
  2. We began the second half of the unit and looked through the literature sources we will study in it. Like the previous unit’s content list, this sheet also listed the specific assignments they will have as well, so they have a good idea of what to expect for the last four weeks of the course.
    On a side note, the novel study from the first part of the unit took quite a bit more time to read than I had planned for, so the units are obviously not well-balanced, but we are not studying another novel in the second unit so we should be able to discuss the topics / content in detail in a much shorter amount of time.
  3. We talked about the idea of Anticipation, the reality that we all have events we are certain to encounter in our future that are like a “right of passage” and things we all experience. Events such as falling in love for the first time, the first major disappointment in your professional career, the first time you do something you truely regret, or getting married. These are events that all young people can expect to encounter in their near or far future. It’s looking to that future that is the purpose of this second part of the unit.
  4. Students had to brainstorm a list of 20 things they Anticipate in their future. Once this was done, they had a story titled “Goalie” to read independently and answer a few questions on the handout. We’ll discuss the story and questions tomorrow.
  5. Their Character Analysis essay is due tomorrow, as well. I reminded them today and mentioned that they should be ready to hand in the essay since they had been preparing for the essay for several weeks (as we finished reading the novel) and they were given Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to work on it during class time. I’ll accept late essays until this Friday, but after that point I will change the essay topic and anyone who hasn’t handed it in yet will have to begin their essay again from the beginning.

Posted December 8, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 20