September 18

ELA 20: Sept 18 Comma activity / in-depth reading of “Penny in the Dust”…

three-basic-uses-of-commas-pdf

1. We began the class with a review of what we did yesterday, since so many students were away. I showed the homework blog on the smartboard screen and walked them through the process of leaving a comment, which was part of yesterday’s required work. Those students who were away will have to complete the paragraph and post it on the blog by tomorrow.
  2. We reviewed the three basic types of comma use that we discussed on Tuesday. Students took the examples / descriptions down as notes but I have also attached them as a pdf. (Again, the penmanship of a document when using a Smartboard is not pretty… be warned!)
  3. Students then did a comma quiz / activity that was open book to test their understanding of the use of these three types. I’ll mark it and return it to them tomorrow.
  4. We discussed as a class the due date for the essay and decided on Friday as the deadline. It was to be completed by Wednesday (to use that class to type) and they’ll have had two extra days after that to finish any editing so Friday seems to be an appropriate and fair deadline.
  5. We looked at the story they read the other day and read it aloud and discussed its parts in detail as we’re going along. I have a document image of my page for them to look at on the Smartboard and it’s seeming to make it easier to point to a part of the page (on the Smartboard) and they can find it more easily on their own page.
    We focused the most, today, on the distance between the father and son despite the fact that there seems to clearly be love shared between them… in a most awkward way. We’ll continue tomorrow.

Posted September 18, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 20