January 31

ELA B30: Names / “By Any Other Name” …

1. Students were given two handouts and we worked through them together. There were questions for them to consider individually and they started on them right away. We had a discussion about names and how important it can be to get someone’s name correct.
  2. I read aloud as students followed in their booklets a portion of the Canadian novel The Life of Pi where the main character struggles over mispronunciations of his name.
  3. We discussed the idea that we have many labels that we use to define ourselves. When asked “who are you?”, we will either give our name or we will give an association we have to something, such as Canadian, Christian, or German.
  4. We read the story titled “By Any Other Name” written by an author who grew up in Colonized India. The teacher at her British school could not be “bothered” to learn to pronounce Indian names so she would give the students new English names to make things easier. We almost finished when the bell rang. Students were asked to have the last short bit read for next class.

Posted January 31, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 30

2 thoughts on “ELA B30: Names / “By Any Other Name” …

1. Nicole

I am beginning to create my own blog, but I can’t figure out how to change the header picture when you first view the site. I noticed yours is a picture of trees, not a dog like it has on the themes page. Anyways, could you tell me how to change it?

Reply
  2. M Waldner (Post author)

Nicole… I logged into my bloggertrial blog at learnerblogs.org to make sure they offer students the same option of changing the picture in the header and was surprised to see that the option is not there. I have an alternative for you, though, as long as you haven’t gotten too far along in developing your blog:
    Create one at edublogs.org instead. It is supported by the same blog cite as the learnerblogs so the dashboard and “behind-the-scenes” look of it is nearly exactly the same except, apparently, you’ll be able to change your header photo.
    I’m looking forward to seeing what type of photo will best represent who “Nicole Currie” is.
    Ms. W

Reply