January 17

ELA 20/30: Jan 17 Canada’s diverse people and country… male / female poetry…

1. I began class today by attempting to clarify something I had mentioned in class yesterday. I had not planned on discussing marks and any different ways I approach marking in my classes but I brought it up yesterday just the same and likely miscommunicated the idea I had intended on sharing. With such a delicate topic, I should have written out and had planned what I wanted to express and I would have felt better, as a result, for being sure to get it right. This was my second attempt:
    1. I had said that there were marks very high in this course and that likely averages would change with the new semester. The reason for this would be because I evaluate students based on a different set of criteria than what they currently are measured by. I place no value on participation or attitude as it is such a subjective thing, has so many variables that are an influence on them both, and is no indicator of skill or learning growth. It is important that people participate and have a good attitude in order for the class to run smoothly and them to be able to enjoy the content, and it is for these reasons that they are expectations of everyone, not areas to be rewarded in. I also have found that if you’re listening and up-to-date with things, your marks reflect this through your assignment / project work. It all comes out in the wash, so they say. 
    2. I also wanted to make it clear that there is no mark “cap” in my class. I was not trying to say that a 97 average cannot be earned, but that it will be a pleasure if there are students here who are so mature and confident in their writing that they take risks with it and push themselves to improve. I tried to explain the potential scenario where two people hand in an essay, one being a very ellaborate and well-written essay and the other quite simple and plain but solid in content. If I was measuring grammar, they could both receive the same high mark, even though one has that mark only because they had so Little grammar that there was no room for errors. That hardly seems fair, so in evaluating writing I look at the skill level of the writer and whether or not they are writing at their level, pushing themselves and taking risks, or taking the easy road. Their mark will reflect that. Two 90 papers should look similar in structure and difficulty, not just in the whether there were or were not errors present. I look forward to people earning those high marks but they will have to continue to give their best efforts in every assignment. 
    3. I also talked about the idea of people doing extra work to improve their mark. It may seem unfair that someone who had the same amount of time to do an assignment that was due months ago gets more time to work on it while you slaved for several days to complete it on time. I understand that would be unfair, which is why I give new assignments with a new topic and it possibly is even harder than the first assignment they missed. There are two benefits to this: 1) is that everyone should have an opportunity to improve their mark, right up until the end, by working and 2) the new assignment is likely geared at testing or exercising a new skill that I’ve taught so they’re practicing and using their knowledge, not just (possibly) understanding it.
    4. Of most importance, though, is that students want their teacher to be “fair”. This is no small task as no two people in the class are equal to begin with, but I put every effort into being Consistent, Being Clear in my instructions / expectations, and doing my best to ensure Everyone Benefits from their Efforts.
  2. I hope my explanation aleviated some concerns instead of made them worse. In any case, please feel free to leave a comment in the comment box of this post of contact me to discuss concerns. I am always open to talking. 
  3. We looked at a few videos / poems that were really key in nailing home the theme of the course: the variety that exists within Canada through its land and its people. The best one, though, was through the slam poetry of one man who hits all the key points of the course. (See it attached in a word document.) slam-poet-shane-koyczan-delivers-his-poem.doc
  4. We started listening to some poetry that focused on the male / female voice and we were searching to discover whether my hypothesis, that male poetry of Canada reflects more on heritage, relationships with fathers, and remorse of the past whereas female poetry shows more strength within despite their obvious femininity and links closely with Mother Nature. We didn’t get to finish but regardless I think I can safely say they enjoyed listening to the poetry. 

WHAT’S THAT? They enjoyed listening to the poetry?Yes, they enjoyed listening to the poetry. Hey.. there’s life and enjoyment to be had in this class! 

Posted January 17, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 30

4 thoughts on “ELA 20/30: Jan 17 Canada’s diverse people and country… male / female poetry…

1. Pat Borsa

Hi Ms. Waldner,

I have read your clarifications and feel you have expressed your point well. I can also see why students may have a concern. They have never had you as a teacher and are facing the unknown. Many of the stronger students with higher averages are of course going to be concerned when they hear that they may not achieve the same average. Their work will have to speak for itself. Good Luck in Semester II!

Reply
  2. Jarrett

I didn’t enjoy some of this poetry because it was rather graphic. But it was interesting. Al perdy has a weird speeking voice but it fits his poetry

Reply
  3. Anonymous

Is that slam poem on U-tube? It was really cool it would be fun to do something like that. will we be continuing the discussion on male/female voices? there is only one poem for female, and we didn’t really have time to support or disprove your theory.

Reply
  4. keenermarc (Post author)

Jarrett,

It is interesting to imagine that a poem can be harsh and violent, instead of soft and pretty and all sorts of “flower poems”, like the kinds of poems Al Purdy said he wrote in the poem we listened to. I know it certainly caught the attention of students, a few of the topics, but they were grinning as they listened so I think you’re right, it was interesting.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Ms. W

And to Anonymous,
    Yes, the slam poetry is from youtube. I’ll link it for you. You think you’d be up for writing / performing a little Slam? Interesting….. lol I would like to continue that idea of the male / female voices, but I’m not sure where or when we could do it. I may have to wait until next year’s ELA A30 course and plan to try another testing of the hypothesis!

This next course, the B30 course is wonderful! I love the content and literature we discuss. I hope I can make it up to you!

Thanks for the post.

Ms. W

Reply