Law 30 Criminal Law – intro
We’ve discussed how Criminal Law is unique among the other categories of Law in Canada. In this section, we’ll start looking at the specifics of it.
Some of the Big Ideas you should focus on in this section include:
- What constitutes a crime or how it is different from what is illegal.
- How criminal law events can still overlap/be related to civil law cases.
- The concept of “protection of society” even though a criminal offence usually has specific victims.
- What two parts of any crime are explained within the Criminal Code itself?
Criminal Code of Canada sites:
- Canada’s Criminal Code (website)
- Offences Against the Person and Reputation (Homicide page)
- Abortion offences (exclusions listed for medically facilitated procedures)
- Street Racing Offences – repealed in 2018
Civil Suits That Followed Criminal Ones:
- Colten Boushie’s Family Sues Gerald Stanley and RCMP
- Family of Jon Styres Suing man who Killed him after not guilty verdict
Types of Criminal Charges:
Cases to evaluate: