Social 10 Standards of Living
Here are some additional sources to help us better understand some of the concepts we’re learning about:
- a) What does GDP stand for? Explanation and notes from video
1.b) Government spending it part of the calculation of GDP. What percentage of Canada’s GDP comes from government spending, compared to other countries?
Canada Government Spending – percentage of GDP
1. c) Growth rate of Canada’s GDP (image below)
- d) Human Development Index: The measure by the United Nations that ranks countries according to literacy, life expectancy, and GDP.Human Development Index Website
2. World Bank measures the wealth of each country.
- Consider from the website given the countries listed as wealthy compared to those listed as very poor. What do you recognize of where wealth in the world exists and where it doesn’t?
- Comparison of two bordering countries with vastly different living standards: Botswana and Zimbabwe
3. The World Bank (The International Monetary Fund – IMF)