ELAB10 Pre-Reading Inquiry – The Dirty 30s
You’re about to read a novella (short novel) set in the Dirty 30s of America. To understand the relationships and context of the story’s plot, you’ll need to learn a bit about that era of history.
Do some online digging and find out a few things about each of the following:
- America in the Dirty 30s – The Great Depression
- The Dustbowl
- Migrant Workers
- Unemployment Rates
- Why Men Left their Families
- Riding the Rails (traveling by train)
- Role differences of men and women
- What happened to children during the Depression
- Look up Photography of The Dirty Thirties and skim through them
Once you’ve learned about these things, you’re ready to read the novel.
You can also read the summary of or watch at home the film Cinderella Man. It’s set in a similar time and includes many of these characteristics of the time.