Ap 28/16 Station C: Comparing Poems – are they more alike than not?
A lot of poems can be written about the same topic, though the author’s approach can be very different. Pick any topic and you could write a poem that celebrates it or complains about it.
You’ll review two poems and try to decide if they’re more similar or more different.
Task: With a partner or on your own
- Read through each poem and summarize its meaning. Depending on the difficulty level and whether there are any unfamiliar words, you could consider breaking the longer one down into pieces to summarize each before you decide on a general summary of the whole poem at the end.
- Make a t-chart with room to identify their Similarities (on the Left) and Differences (on the Right).
- Review both poems with your partner (if you have one) and try to identify what about the poems can be compared. It may include things like:
- the tone or attitude towards the topic – whether it is positive or not
- the formatting of each – a typical type of formatting or more unique/specific
- language used – familiar words, general words, combinations of words used together for effect
- punctuation use – did they use it or not, how did it change/affect reading the poem
- is the poem narrative (tells a story) or more figurative (hypothetical)
- is the purpose of the poem clear or obscure
- does the poem make meaning clear (explicit) or do you have to infer a lot (implicit)
- is there a clear speaker for the poem? whose voice is it told through? is a character established as the speaker?
- what point of view is it told from? 3rd person omniscient, 3rd person limited, 2nd person, or 1st person?
- use of plays on sounds of words: alliteration, consonance, assonance, rhyme, repetition
- what is the poem asking of the reader?
- other – what else can you recognize of importance in the poem?
- After studying and comparing the similarities and differences between the two poems, add a comment below in this post As a Team and explain what your final conclusion is: are the two poems more alike or more dissimilar from each other? What is your reasoning/proof?
- Be sure to leave your name(s) in your comment.
The poems to compare are given below.