September 4

ELA A10: Question discussion and “The Witch of Coos” poem…

1. I was really impressed that three students came to class before school to get help with a few questions they couldn’t complete for homework. Some of them had difficulty completing their comment on the blog, as well, because they forgot they could access my blog from the school website. It’s still early and they’ll get more used to it.
  2. We read through all the questions and everyone took turns giving their response. We elaborated on some, but for the most part I was really pleased with the quality of their responses.
  3. I showed them a video of famous author Robert Frost talking about his poetry and how he feels about it. His poem, “The Road Not Taken” is quite a popular and well-known one, but it’s interesting to actually see the man who wrote it and hear him speak of poetry like children.
  4. We read a poem of his, then, called “The Witch of Coos”. I started retyping it out, not in the poem-form that appears on their page, but as a short story with whole sentences until the punctuation (from the poem) ends a sentence. Looking at the poem like this, it seems very much like a simple short story tucked into the format of a poem.
  5. We read through it and students volunteered summaries or ideas for what certain aspects mean. They all agreed, though, that it was somewhat creepy but interesting. We started trying to answer a few of the following questions:
    1. Who did “the bones” belong to? What evidence is there in the poem to support our answer?
    2. Who killed the bones?
    3. What happened to her husband?
    4. What kind of relationship does it seem she has with her husband? Support?
    5. Did her husband ever see or hear the bones? If not, what does that suggest?

We’ll continue on Tuesday.

The Witch of Coos poem

Posted September 4, 2009 by Waldner in category ELA A10