June 12

ELA B30: June 12 Animal Farm reading / focused listening…

1. The reminder was written on the board (with today’s plan) that the Poem or Paragraph assignment was due today. (Students had the option of choosing to write a poem or formal body paragraph for the assignment.)
  2. I wasn’t here yesterday so students had an opportunity to ask any clarifying questions, talk about anything they are uncertain about regarding the story. I focused their attention to several key themes they should watch for evident in the novel, such as Ambition, Power, the idea of the Common Good, and the subject of Responsibility, whether individual or group. We discussed the Final Essay Question from the Departmental exam example that asked the student to prove with reference to a large piece of literature that “People only do what they believe is right”. Using the novel Animal Farm as the reference, I asked them to briefly consider whether they would be able to respond, based on the storyline so far.
  3. Then they read – students settled quickly and wasted no time in getting right back into the novel. I mentioned that the novel is so engaging and such an interesting story that it is easy to stay interested with it, whether you have a book or not, but I have to say in particular that these students are doing a fantastic job of staying on that task themselves. When you listen to something for almost an entire class, it might seem easy to find ways to lose interest or focus, but these students are proving the opposite. I’m pleased with that. Of course, too, it doesn’t hurt that the person narrating the audio actually sings the songs and bleets out the sheep’s parts! lol
  4. Graduation is tomorrow. I hope all the Grade twelves have a wonderful day getting ready. Hope it’s what you were waiting for! See you tomorrow!

This painting is titled “Blame Snowball”. Interesting interpretation, don’t you think?!

Posted June 12, 2008 by Waldner in category ELA 30