August 31

ELA 20: Aug 31 Interview assignment / poems….

1. Students came in with smiles to hand in their homework from last class. What did they have to do? Color a children’s booklet about the Letter P.  They did a great job and their work is hanging on the front bulletin board with a fancy new sticker attached. Good job!
    All fun aside, the ones who did the coloring blushed to admit it was actually fun for them to color because they don’t do it anymore. Going back to the things we did as children can bring back some great memories.
  2. Students divided into pairs to interview someone for details they remember about their childhood. They had thirty minutes to share information, write down the details they’d like to include in their writing, and laugh a little about kid stuff as well.  They were reminded to pick one specific detail and try to focus on that.
  3. They were given ten minutes of writing time, after an example was read from the board. I wanted to give them an example of what I am looking for with this assignment, and we discussed how the topic sentence catches the reader’s attention and the final sentence brings everything to a close nicely. I am looking to see that their assignments will do the same. These paragraphs are due, typed, for Tuesday’s class.
  4. Next, we started looking at the first of a few poems for us to read. Bruce Springsteen’s song, “My Hometown”, obviously focuses on the place of his youth. However, the tone is not a happy or warm one.

Posted August 31, 2007 by Waldner in category ELA 20

2 thoughts on “ELA 20: Aug 31 Interview assignment / poems….

1. Amanda Degenhardt

Hey guys!
    Well, the colouring assignment was fun. It takes you back to when you were a kid, and all the fun times that you had. It really allows you to think about the past and it makes you realize how fast time actually flies. I like the idea of writing a paragraph about one specific thing that we remember doing in our youth. It will help us to remember the situation better and I think that it is fun to write about something like that. Something that is about you that you will remember forever.

Reply
  2. keenermarc (Post author)

So ‘this’ is what young people do in Goodsoil on a Saturday night…. their homework!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Amanda. You’re right, it is fun looking back.

M.

Reply